Exercise of the Way of the Cross (Viae Crucis exercitium)
63. Exercise of the Way of the Cross (Viae Crucis exercitium)
A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful, who make the pious
exercise of the Way of the Cross.
In the pious exercise of the Way of the Cross we recall anew the sufferings, which the
divine Redeemer endured, while going from the praetorium of Pilate, where he was condemned
to death, to the mount of Calvary, where he died on the cross for our salvation.
The gaining of the plenary indulgence is regulated by the following norms:
- The pious exercise must be made before stations of the Way of the Cross legitimately
- For the erection of the Way of the Cross fourteen crosses are required, to which it is
customary to add fourteen pictures or images, which represent the stations of Jerusalem.
- According to the more common practice, the pious exercise consists of fourteen pious
readings, to which some vocal prayers are added. However, nothing more is required than a
pious meditation on the Passion and Death of the Lord, which need not be a particular
consideration of the individual mysteries of the stations.
- A movement from one station to the next is required.
But if the pious exercise is made publicly and if it is not possible for all taking
part to go in an orderly way from station to station, it suffices if at least the one
conducting the exercise goes from station to station, the others remaining in their place.
Those who are "impeded" can gain the same indulgence, if they spend at least
one half an hour in pious reading and meditation on the Passion and Death of our Lord
For those belonging to Oriental rites, amongst whom this pious exercise is not
practiced, the respective Patriarchs can determine some other pious exercise in memory of
the Passion and Death of our Lord Jesus Christ for the gaining of this indulgence.
- 1. Jesus is condemned to death
- 2. Jesus bears his cross
- 3. Jesus falls the first time
- 4. Jesus meets his mother
- 5. Jesus is helped by Simon
- 6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
- 7. Jesus falls a second time
- 8. Jesus speaks to the women
- 9. Jesus falls a third time
- 10. Jesus is stripped of his garments
- 11. Jesus is nailed to the Cross
- 12. Jesus dies on the Cross
- 13. Jesus is taken down from the Cross
- 14. Jesus is placed in the tomb
[ Home ] [ What's New ] [ Articles ] [ Bible ] [ Canon Law ] [ Dissent ] [ Faith ] [ Indulgences ] [ Liturgy ] [ Prayers ] [ Renew ] [ Saints ] [ Teachings ] [ Links ] [ About Us ] [ Reviews ] [ Contact Us ] [ Our Lord ] [ Our Lady ] [ Table of Contents ]